Friday, March 12, 2010

Great Expectations: Question About Estella

One part of Great Expectations I didn't understand was on page 226, chapter 33. It is when Estella arrives at London and Pip takes her to tea. When asked why she will be going to Richmond, Estella replies:

"I am going to live at a great expense, with a lady there, who has the power - or says she has - of taking me about, and introducing me, and showing people to me and showing me to people."

I understand that Estella will be living there to be introduced to the "high-society" people there, and to learn her way around, but I don't understand why. Throughout the story, Miss Havisham is trying to throw Pip and Estella together (mainly so Estella can break his heart), so why would Miss Havisham send Estella away to Richmond, especially if she might meet new people and fall in love with someone else?

1 comment: