Friday, May 21, 2010

Essay Writing

Over the last few months in Honors English, I have learned a great deal about writing essays. And I hope to only get better in the future. Becoming skilled at analyzing literature is one of the most helpful things I can learn. Literary analysis is "reading between the lines" in a piece of writing. This can involve searching for figurative language, symbols, themes, character development, and more. Knowing I will write an essay drives me to read critically and be more in depth and aware of the author's style and purpose. It is critical to be creative and make inferences about a text, even if it is far beyond what the author had hoped for readers to understand.

Although my essay-writing abilities are improving constantly, there are still quite a few things I struggle with. One of these is three-fold transition sentences. I can find information/quotations and express my own thoughts on it, but I often have trouble tying a brief review of one body paragraph, a brief preview of the next paragraph, and reiterate part of the thesis all into one sentence. But if I keep working at it, perhaps I will find this part a breeze by the time Honors 10 rolls around!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Good job! You seem like you have great understanding of literary analysis and why it's so important. I understand how writing three-fold transition sentences can be hard, it really is a lot of information to fit into one sentence. But I'm sure that you've gotten a lot better at it since the first time we wrote essay's this year. It just takes some practice. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Sis! Doesn't it feel great to look back and see how you've grown in something?! I love reading your writing, so this is exciting :)

    ReplyDelete